Vedran Podobnik is an Associate Professor
at the Telecommunication Department of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, University of Zagreb. He is the founder and Director
of the “Social Networking and Computing Laboratory (socialLAB)”, as well as a member of the “Laboratory for Computers in Education (eduLab)” and the ”Laboratory for Assistive Technologies and Alternative and Augmentative Communication (ICT-AAC)”.
His teaching and research activities are in a transdisciplinary field of smart networks and social computing, which is at the intersection of technical (computer science, information and communication technologies, information systems) and social (economics, operations and management) sciences. He led several national and international scientific and industrial projects. Currently, he is coordinating the scientific project Managing Trust and Coordinating Interactions in Smart Networks of People, Machines and Organizations and the industrial project A Platform for Context-Aware Social Networking of Mobile Users. He co-authored over 60 papers, including publications in Information Sciences, AI Magazine and Cybernetics and Systems journals. As a junior researcher, he received the Croatian Annual National Award for Science in the field of technical sciences.
He is a member of IEEE, ACM, INFORMS and KES International associations, as well as Cambridge Union Society.
- Ph.D. (2010, Computer Science, University of Zagreb Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing)
- M.Phil. (2013, Technology Policy, University of Cambridge Judge Business School)
- M.Eng. (2006, Electrical Engineering, University of Zagreb Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing)
- smart networks
- social technologies
- technology policy
- multi-agent systems
- electronic markets
- context-aware services
- Silver Medal for Innovation “ICT applications for people with complex communication needs” (2014). Awarded by the Jury of the 12th International Innovation Exhibition ARCA 2014
- Erasmus Energy Science Award (2013). Awarded by the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
- Santander Cambridge Scholarship (2012). Awarded by the Cambridge Overseas Trust
- Croatian Annual National Award for Science for the junior researcher in the field of technical sciences (2011). Awarded by the Croatian Parliament
- Silver Plaque “Josip Loncar” Award, the Dean’s award for outstanding doctoral dissertation and particularly successful scientific research (2010). Awarded by the University of Zagreb Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing
- Croatian Annual National Award SCIENCE for the best student in fields of technical and biotehnical sciences (2007). Awarded by the Croatian Science Foundation